The Lake District is one of the true gems of the England and there’s no better time to visit than Spring.
Download our latest Avis Great Drives guide and see our recommended road trip that will show you the best of what the Lake District has to offer.
- Pick up your Avis hire car from Newcastle-upon-Tyne and head south on the A19 road to the super-stylish Seaham Hall hotel and spa.
- Take a stress-free drive on the A1M and A66 to Barnard Castle, passing through lush moorland on your way to the Lake District.
- Go through the steep Kirkstone Pass, known locally as “The Struggle”, to reach the grey stone cottages of cutesy Ambleside, on the banks of Lake Windermere.
- Park in a lay-by before the road plunges down into the town and look back at the grey of the asphalt weaving its way between green hillsides.
- From Ambleside, follow the B5385, which twists and turns its way to Coniston, then head back to Newcastle via the A595 and A69, stopping off at Birdoswald Roman Fort and the 2000 year-old village of Haltwhistle and along the way.
- It’s a quick drive east along the A69 to drop-off your Avis hire car back in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.