London Congestion Charge
If you are plannnig to drive your Avis hire car into Central London, you will be liable to pay the London Congestion Charge.
Please read on for more details on the charge and how to pay.
Hours of operation
The London Congestion Charge operates between 07.00 to 18.00, Monday - Friday.
There is no charge on weekends, public holidays, between Christmas & New Years day inclusive or between 18.00 to 07.00.
Congestion Charge fee
Please be aware of the following charges / penalties by Transport for London (TFL):
- If you choose to pay by midnight on the day of travel the charge is £10.00 per day (VAT exempt) per vehicle.
- If you choose to pay by midnight the following day after you drove into the Congestion Charge zone the charge is £12.00.
- For further information, please refer to www.tfl.gov.uk.
How to pay the Congestion Charge fee
You can pay for your first day's charge at the time of picking up your rental vehicle. Avis will process the payment for you.
Alternatively, you can pay the Congestion Charge in a number of ways, including:
Failure to pay the Congestion Charge fee
If you fail to purchase a Congestion Charge permit, Transport for London will issue a penalty charge (per offence).
This fee is currently £130.00, but is reduced to £65.00 if paid within 14 days. An additional admin fee of £25.00 +VAT is payable if Avis handles the Penalty Charge Notice.
When hiring a vehicle with Avis, it is your responsibility to pay the Congestion Charge. You will also be liable for any penalty fees. Any unpaid charges and penalties will be recovered from you by Avis.
Map of Congestion Charge zone
Terms and Conditions
- Transport for London currently charge a penalty fee of £130 for failure to pay the Congestion Charge.
- This fee is reduced to £65 if paid within 14 days.
- An additional admin fee of £25 +VAT is payable if Avis handles the Penalty Charge Notice.