Driving in Bulgaria
Road rules of Bulgaria
We have put together some key Bulgarian road rules to help awareness of different driving laws in foreign countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change and are correct as of November 2012. Please ask your Avis representative if any queries arise.
Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Bulgaria location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information.
Which Side of the Road?
In Bulgaria, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- The usage of horn is prohibited at all times and at any areas. The horn can be used only in avoiding road accidents.
- Winter tyres are mandatory during the winter. Snow chains are permitted. Their use can become compulsory according to road conditions, in which case this is indicated by the international road sign
- Spiked tyres are forbidden.
- In one way streets parking is only on the left
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 55 mph (90 km/h)
- Motorways: 86 mph (140 km/h)
Please be aware of changing speeds indicated by road signs.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under the age of 3 or less than 150cm tall must use the correct child seat
- Children 150cm may travel without the child seat but in the back
Please ask your Avis representative to help fit your child with the correct child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- Fire extinguisher
- First-aid kit
- Warning triangle
- 166 or 112
- 150 or 112
- Fire Department
- 160 or 112