Driving in the Czech Republic
Road rules of Czech Republic
We have put together some key Czech Republic road rules to help awareness of different drivinglaws in foreign countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change and are correct as of November 2012. Please ask your Avis representative if any queries arise.
Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Czech Republic location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information.
Which Side of the Road?
In the Czech Republic, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- It is recommended to use your headlights during the day as well as night
- Do not turn right on a red light
- Using mobile phone whilst drivingis not permitted
- Use your horn sparingly and don’t use your horn at all in Prague’s central city during the night
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 55 mph (90 km/h)
- Motorways: 80 mph (130 km/h)
Please be aware of changing speeds indicated by road signs.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under 36kg and/or under 150cm must use the correct safety seat.
Please ask your Avis representative to help fit your child with the correct child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- First-aid kit
- A set of replacement bulbs
- A set of replacement fuses
- Warning triangle
- Reflective jacket
- Fire Department