Driving in Hungary
Road rules of Hungary
We have put together some key Hungarian road rules to help awareness of different driving laws in foreign countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change and are correct as of November 2014. Please ask your Avis representative if any queries arise.
Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Hungary location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information. We also have Great Drives guides for Hungary to help you make the most of your car hire experience.
Which Side of the Road?
In Hungary, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- Mobile phones are allowed only with headsets.
- Use of horn is prohibited unless in danger.
- If using the Hungarian motorways M1, M3, M5 and M7, drivers need to obtain correct motorway vignette, you can purchase these at petrol stations and post offices. Avis Hungary's vehicles are equipped eith e-vignette (valid only in territory of Hungary). Please ask your Avis representative for further details.
- Please always check the parking zone conditions (mandatory period and charges).
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 55 mph (90 km/h) or 68mph (110km/h)
- Motorways: 80 mph (130 km/h)
Unless indicated by road signs. Please pay attention to speed limits (traffic fines extend from 100 EUR to 1,000 EUR).
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under 3 and measuring less than 150cm must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
- Children over 3 and measuring more than 135cm do not need to be seated in an appropriate child restraint if the vehicle’s own seat belt fits for their size.
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- First-aid kit
- Warning Triangle
- Reflective Jacket
- Fire Department
- European Emergency Number