Road Rules Iceland
Road rules of Iceland
We have put together some key Icelandic Road Rules to help awareness of different driving laws in foreign countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change and are correct as of November 2012. Please ask your Avis representative if any queries arise.
Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Iceland location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information.
Which Side of the Road?
In Iceland, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- It is prohibited to drive outside marked roads or tracks
- Use of mobile phones is not prohibited while driving
- Special warning signs indicate possible danger, such as sharp bends, as there is no sign to reduce speed, please drive carefully, and choose appropriate speed according to road and weather conditions
- Motorists much use headlights at all times, day and night
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Unpaved roads: 49mph (80km/h)
- Rural areas: 55 mph (90 km/h)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under 3 measuring less than 150cm must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
Please ask your Avis representative to help fit your child with the correct child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- Warning Triangle
- Please ask your Avis representative, whether snow tyres are compulsory at the time of your arrival
- Fire Department