Driving in Luxembourg
Road rules of Luxembourg
We have put together some key Luxembourgish road rules to help awareness of different driving laws in foreign countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change and are correct as of November 2012. Please ask your Avis representative if any queries arise.
Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Luxembourg location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information.
Which Side of the Road?
In Luxembourg, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- There are numerous speed cameras on Luxembourgish roads.
- On a roundabout, please give way to the left.
- There are no Tolls on Luxembourgish Motorways.
- The use of mobile phones is strictly prohibited.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 55 mph (90 km/h)
- Motorways: 80mph (130km/h)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under 3 measuring less than 150cm must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
Please ask your Avis representative to help fit your child with the correct child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- Warning Triangle
- Reflective Jacket
- First-Aid Kit
- Fire Extinguisher
Please ask your Avis representative, whether snow tyres are compulsory at the time of your arrival.
- Fire Department