Driving in Spain
Road rules of Spain
We have put together some key Spanish road rules to help awareness of different driving laws in foreign countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change and are correct as of November 2014. Please ask your Avis representative if any queries arise.
Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Spain location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information. We also have Great Drives guides for Spain to help you make the most of your car hire experience.
Which Side of the Road?
In Spain, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- Do not use headphoneswhen driving (except hearing aids)
- Dipped headlights must be used in poor daylight visibility
- Do not use your mobile phone when driving.
- Be sure to use indicators at all times, you will be fined if not using indicators when needed.
- Cyclist have right of way, at all times.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 55 mph (90 km/h)
- Motorways: 74mph (120km/h)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt
- Children under 12 and less than 135cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- Spare tire
- Warning triangle
- Reflective jacket
- Fire Department
- European Emergency Number