Leeds is part of the Leeds-Bradford conurbation and surrounded by other sizable towns. It is also the single largest city in Yorkshire. Despite a population of over 700,000 Leeds is a relatively easy city to get around, owing to a compact city centre with many parking facilities, ring roads, access to the city centre from motorways and several fast routes out of the city to suburbs and neighbouring towns.
However, like many British cities, it can be easy to take wrong turns or find yourself in the wrong lane at important junctions in your hire car in Leeds city centre. The Leeds City Loop, a one-way system, makes travelling around Leeds quick and congestion-free unless you are unprepared for it. We advise that you check your route through the city centre carefully in order to take the one-way system into account when renting a car in Leeds.
Map of the Leeds City Loop and car parking.
The inner and outer ring roads circle the Northern half of the city only. Several main roads lead out of Leeds from the Inner Ring Road, dissecting the outer ring road at the edge of the city. These roads out of Leeds are listed below from West to East:
- Stanningley Road (for Armley, Bramley, Pudsey & Bradford)
- Kirkstall Road (for Kirkstall, Kirkstall Abbey, Horsforth, Rawdon, Guisely and Leeds Bradford Airport)
- Otley Road (for Universities, Hyde Park, Headingley, Weetwood and Otley)
- Scotthall Road (for Chapeltown, Chapel Allerton, Meanwood, Moortown and Harrogate)
- Roundhay Road (for Gledhow, Harehills, Roundhay Park, Roundhay, Scarcroft, Bardsey & Wetherby)
- York Road (for Harehills, Seacroft, Crossgates and York)
To the south of the city lies the M621 motorway which takes you east to the M1 and M62 (East), and west to the M62 (west) towards Manchester. Use these motorways for Wakefield, Castleford, Dewsbury and Huddersfield. The suburbs of Wortley and Beeston are a short drive south of Leeds city centre.
Many of the city’s tourist attractions are in the city centre and can be enjoyed on foot having parked your hire car in Leeds city centre. These include:The Victoria Quarter boutique shopping arcades
- The Royal Armouries Museum, beyond the trendy ‘Calls’ and River Aire in the south
- Leeds Art Gallery, featuring a large sculpture by native son Henry Moore at its entrance
- The architectural highlights of Leeds City Market and Leeds Corn Exchange
Book a car using a link below or return to our page for popular car hire in the UK.