Driving in Poland
Road rules of Poland
We have put together some key Polish road rules to help awareness of different driving laws in foreign countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change and are correct as of November 2014. Please ask your Avis representative if any queries arise.
Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Poland location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information. We also have Great Drives guides for Poland to help you make the most of your car hire experience.
Which Side of the Road?
In Poland, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- Dipped headlights must be used at all times (all year round).
- There is a Toll Road (A2) between Wrzesnia and Konin.
- There is a Toll Road (A4) between Katowice and Kraków.
- Toll fee relative to road section.
For a standard rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31mph (50 km/h) from 05:00 – 23:00 and 37mph (60 km/h) from 23:00 to 05:00
- Rural areas: 55mph (90 km/h)
- Express roads (2 x 1 lanes) 62mph (100 km/h) or (2 x 2 lanes) 74mph (120 km/h)
- Motorways: 86mph (140 km/h)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt
- Children under 12 and less than 150cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- Warning Triangle
- Car Fire Extinguisher
- High Visibility Jacket - it is mandatory that the driver and all passengers use a high visibility jacket when leaving the vehicle during an accident or breakdown.
- First Aid Kit - required.
Please ask your Avis representative, whether snow tyres are compulsory at the time of your arrival
- Fire Department
- European Emergency Number