Driving in Portugal
Road rules of Portugal
We have put together some key Portuguese road rules to help awareness of different driving laws in foreign countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change. Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Portugal car hire page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information.
Which Side of the Road?
In Portugal, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- The use of mobile phones is prohibited, however you may talk on your phone if you have a hands-free kit.
- Do not use your horn in a built-up area unless you urgently need to warn other road users of your presence.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 55mph (90 km/h)
- Motorways: 74 mph (120 km/h)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children under 12 and less than 150cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- Passport/photo ID
- Reflective jacket
- Spare tyre/air filling equipment for tyres
- Warning triangle
- Fire Department
- European Emergency Number