Driving in Sweden
Key road rules in Sweden you need to know
When you are hiring a car abroad, it’s useful to be prepared for the different driving laws in the country you are travelling to as well as checking the documents you need to carry.
To help make your trip to as smooth as possible, we've put together some of the key road rules in Sweden.
- These rules are to be used as a guide and are subject to change. Please check with your Avis representative if you have any questions.
- Your Avis representative can advise you on toll and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Sweden location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information.
Exploring Sweden's capital Stockholm by car is a comfortable and convenient way to see one of Scandinavia’s most exciting cities. To get the most from your stay, check out our guide to the ins and outs of driving around Stockholm.
Which Side of the Road?
In Sweden, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- It is not permitted to use a mobile phone or GPS in any manner that could be deemed detrimental to driving.
- Please be aware of animals such as Moose and Deer when driving.
- Note: There is a Congestion charge in Stockholm and Goteborg/Gothenburg.
- When driving in Sweden, your headlights must always be switched on and on dipped beam, even in daytime.
Speed limits between 18mph (30 km/h) and 74mph (120 km/h) are operative in Sweden.
Swedish speed limits are determined by the quality of road service. Please use road signs to indicate the correct speed.
On many roads speed cameras are installed to remind motorists not to exceed the speed limit. If you do and are stopped by the police, you will have to pay a fine. You may even lose your licence if you are caught speeding.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under 15 and less than 135cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
- A child must never sit in aseat in which the car is fitted with an active airbag.
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- Winter tires between 1st Decemberand 31st March
- All vehicles must have Anti-Freeze in the vehicle windscreen fluid
- Fire Department
- European Emergency Number