Driving in Turkey
Road rules of Turkey
We have put together some key Turkish road rules to help awareness of different driving laws in foriegn countries.
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change and are correct as of November 2014. Please ask your Avis representative if any queries arise.
Please ask your Avis representative about toll charges and road charges before leaving the Avis car hire location and whether snow tyres or chains are needed.
Take a look at our Turkey location page for ideas, travelling tips and booking information.
Which Side of the Road?
In Turkey, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- Do not use a cell phone while driving. It is strictly prohibited. It is legal to use a hands free unit.
- All passengers are obligated to wear seatbelts while in the vehicle.
- In the event of an accident, be sure to call the Traffic Police and make a report. Do not move your vehicle.
- Vehicles may be towed away if causing an obstruction or violating parking restrictions.
- There are speed cameras on all types of road.
- Headlights must be used at all times.
- It is a legal requirement to have your driving licence and car hire documents with you. (An International Driving Licence is required only for countries with non-Roman alphabet. Or you can get a notorised copy in Turkish). It is also advisable to have your passport with you.
- The legal blood alcohol limit is 0.5%. If you are caught driving above this limit, you will face a heavy fine and your licence will be immediately confiscated for at least six months.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Rural areas: 55 mph (90 km/h)
- Motorways: 74mph (120km/h)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under 150cm and less than 35kg must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size.
- Children under 10 can not travel in the front seat.
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
Compulsory Equipment in your Avis rental car
- First-aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- 2x Warning triangle
- Fire Department
- Traffic Police
- European Emergency Number