Disability Hand Controls
A car for every driverWe want car hire to be accessible to every driver. That's why we offer hand controls for disabled drivers in the UK, free of charge.
The system includes hand operated brake and accelerator controls and a steering ball.
Restless? Dial Avis direct to reserve your car fitted with hand controls.
Driving with hand controls
Avis uses Lynx hand controls to transform our vehicles for disabled drivers. This control adapts the brake and the accelerator pedal of an automatic car to hand operation. It's used by drivers with a lower limb disability but with upper-body function, including hand and finger dexterity.
A steering ball (steering wheel aid) is also included in the set-up; this is compatible for use with cars fitted with a driver airbag. Panoramic mirrors are also available on request.
Adaptive Driving SpecialistsAvis are proud to be working with Lynx to provide all of our customers the opportunity to enjoy our hire vehicles. With over 20 years of experience as mobility specialists, Lynx have created a quick and affordable accessibility solution to ensure car and van hire is available across the UK.
Who benefits from using hand controls?
- Drivers with reduced lower limb mobility
- Those recovering from leg injury
- Convalescence requiring less strain on the lower limbs
Please Note: Good dexterity is required in the right hand to control the accelerator and brake pedals. The wheel is controlled by the left hand alone which is made easier with the addition of the steering ball.
How does it work?The hand control consists of a bar and a plunger attached via rods to the accelorator and brake pedals. This bar and plunger sit comfortably in the driver's right hand at steering wheel height.
To brake you push toward the footwell using the palm of the hand on the bar.
To accelerate you simply push down on the plunger with your thumb.
To steer you use your left hand only. This can be made easier with the addition of a steering ball.
If you're unfamiliar with how to use the controls, in most cases the Lynx fitter will be on hand to explain their use and (if needed) will take you on a short test drive.
The small print
- Please let us know your requirements in advance: we need 48 hours' notice to fit your chosen vehicle with hand controls.
- These controls are only suitable for automatic vehicles.
- A larger category of vehicle may be more appropriate if you require wheelchair stowage.
- If you're unfamiliar with how to use the controls, in most cases the Lynx fitter will be on hand to explain their use and (if needed) will take you on a short test drive.
- If the fitter is concerned about the renter's ability to use the controls, Avis reserves the right to cancel the rental.