Disability Hand Controls
A car for every driverWe want car hire to be accessible to every driver. That's why we offer hand controls for disabled drivers in the UK, free of charge.
The system includes hand operated brake and accelerator controls and a steering ball.
Restless? Dial Avis direct to reserve your car fitted with hand controls.
Driving with hand controls
Avis uses Lynx hand controls to transform our vehicles for disabled drivers. This control adapts the brake and the accelerator pedal of an automatic car to hand operation. It's used by drivers with a lower limb disability but with upper-body function, including hand and finger dexterity.
A steering ball (steering wheel aid) is also included in the set-up; this is compatible for use with cars fitted with a driver airbag. Panoramic mirrors are also available on request.
The small print
- Please let us know your requirements in advance: we need 48 hours' notice to fit your chosen vehicle with hand controls.
- These controls are only suitable for automatic vehicles.
- A larger category of vehicle may be more appropriate if you require wheelchair stowage.
- If you're unfamiliar with how to use the controls, in most cases the Lynx fitter will be on hand to explain their use and (if needed) will take you on a short test drive.
- If the fitter is concerned about the renter's ability to use the controls, Avis reserves the right to cancel the rental.